Baptism is an important step of obedience that shows others we have personally trusted Jesus for our salvation. When Christians are baptized, they are submerged under water to identify with the death and burial of Jesus and raised out of the water to identify with His resurrection. The Bible clearly teaches that baptism is the first or initial step of obedience after making a commitment to follow Christ. Baptism allows a believer to communicate to the world their heart-felt commitment to Jesus. Water Baptism is an outward expression of an inward faith.
WHY BE BAPTISM BY IMMERSION?
1. Because Jesus was baptized that way. (Matthew 3:16)
2. Baptism in the Bible was by immersion. (Acts 8:38-39)
3. The word “baptize” means “to dip under water.”
4. It best symbolizes a burial and resurrection. (Romans 6:1-11)
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF BAPTISM?
1. Baptism illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. (Colossians 2:12)
2. Baptism illustrates my new life as a Christian. (2 Corinthians. 5:17)
3. Baptism doesn’t make you a Christian. Baptism does not make you a believer – it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not “save” you; only your faith in Christ does that.
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
Every person who has believed in Christ should follow in the act of obedience to be baptized.
WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
1. To follow the example set by Christ. (Mark 1:9)
2. Because Christ commanded it. (Matthew 28:19-20)
WHAT ABOUT CHILDREN?
All instances of baptism followed an individual’s decision to trust Christ alone for their salvation
At Gospel Community Church, we wait until the child is old enough to believe and understand the true meaning of baptism before we baptize them. When a child makes a decision for Christ, we gladly baptize them in the Christian faith. (Acts 2:41 & Acts 8:12 Acts 10:47-48.)
Some churches practice a “baptism of confirmation” for children. This custom began about three hundred years after the Bible was completed. This is a time when the parents pledge their commitment to raise their child according to Christian values and beliefs. While a very meaningful event, this is not Christian baptism. Gospel Community Church offers a similar opportunity for parents through its infant dedication services.
WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
A person should be baptized as soon as you have believed. This act of spiritual obedience should be done at the next available opportunity. There is no reason to delay. As soon as you have decided to receive Christ into your life, you can and should be baptized. If you wait until you are “perfect”, you will never feel “good enough”! (Acts 2:41)
WHAT DO I WEAR?
We ask that everyone wear dark, loose-fitting clothes for the baptism service (a t-shirt is fine). There will be a changing room available and you will want to bring a towel.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
To register for our next baptism service, stop by the Next Steps table or complete the online form. Once we have received your form, we will contact you with our upcoming baptism service dates.
Please fill out the form below to be baptized!